Friday, October 15, 2010
To Mom & Dad
I have had this post rolling around in my head for awhile now but haven't had time to put it here. Again, I should be studying or taking care of my house, but it's Friday & I need a break. Since I started school I have been driving Jarom's car more frequently. Well, he likes to listen to talk radio so I have been getting my fair share of talk about politics and sports recently. I always come home very fired up after listening to the interviews and/or debates about certain issues that are happening around the country/world. A lot of them leave me thinking/worrying about the future for my children. Will they still have their freedoms that we have today? More specifically, freedom of religion, speech, etc, etc. What will they do if they have to go to school/work with children who come from an extreme Muslim background? I wish I could just put them in a bubble and protect them forever, but that's not really the purpose of bringing them into this world so....I worry about whether I am doing a good enough job in raising them and teaching them to send them out into the world and trust that they will make the right decisions. Will they choose good friends? Will they stand up for themselves when everyone around them is doing "it" whatever that may be? Will they be a good friend and example to those around them? Will they have strong testimonies? These are just a few things that I lose sleep over on a regular basis. It often leaves me wondering if my parents had these same concerns. Hopefully they are resting better now that we are all "grown up." Which also leads me to think about how great my parents are. I am not perfect by any means, and I have made my fair share of mistakes. But I feel like I've turned out pretty good, and I know that is partly/mostly due to how I was raised. So Thank You to my mom & dad for everything (not enough space or time to list them all) you have done for me and taught me the past 29 years!! I only hope I am doing half as great a job with my children. I love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment