A couple of days ago I was having a CHALLENGING day in the world of motherhood. Everything that day seemed to be a battle from getting Jacob dressed, feeding him, getting his shoes and coat on when we needed to go out, getting him to stop hitting or throwing things that shouldn't be thrown. By the time bedtime rolled around I was feeling pretty sorry for myself and thinking how hard my life was. With a little bit of time to myself (Jarom had church meetings), I turned on the computer to catch up on my blog reading. I read a post from some friends of ours who lost their oldest boy when he was just over a year old. Then I followed a link to a site about a little boy who became infected with meningitis and has been fighting for his life (see his site charliecooperjackjack.blogspot.com.) When Jarom got home from his meetings I was puffy eyed and still trying to control my emotions, and he decided to tell me about this family he'd gone to visit with the EQ president in our ward. This is a family with four children. The mom has been sick with cancer and the dad has trouble finding work since he just got out of jail and is on probation. They were just finishing dinner which consisted of two microwave meals shared among them with the kids asking for more. Their parents had to say that's all they had. This broke my heart and made me realize that I am really very blessed. So this was a lesson in attitude adjustment for me. I have a great husband who treats me like a queen and is the best dad to Jacob. Jacob is here and healthy and such a sweet thing who is trying to figure things out.


Last night I turned on the bath water to get it warmed up (didn't plug the drain yet) then left to finish dinner. Meanwhile Jacob heard the water running and ran to the bathroom. A few minutes later he's calling for us, but I ignored for a few more minutes thinking he had thrown something in the tub and wanted it back. After his call got more desperate I finally went in to see what he needed and found him in the tub trying to get the soap out of the bottle. He looked so frustrated all I could do was laugh. It's moments like these that I need to remember when it seems like I'll never be able to teach him what's ok to do and what's not. Hopefully I will do better at taking a few minutes everyday to count my blessings and be grateful for all that I have.
P.S. Jacob loves this oscar shirt!!!! I need one for him to wear everyday since he gets so excited to get dressed when he gets to wear it.
2 comments:
I know the feeling- I have had quite a few days like that lately- Especially the getting dressed thing. Diaper changing is another fit inducer at our house. I'm glad I read your blog today. sometimes you just need a reminder of how good you really have it. Conner has a tractor shirt that he loves to put on. The only other shirt he has with a tractor is a pajama top but I let him wear it sometimes so I don't have to fight him. :)
I didn't even know you guys had a blog, I'll have to add you to our list. I totally understand, motherhood is very challenging a lot, especially around 2. They are learning so much and trying to communicate. It takes a lot of patience, and then when they fall asleep they look so sweet and innocent. We'll have to get together sometime.
Post a Comment