Jacob will be turning 3 in just a few months so that means I have to start thinking about preschool for him. I thought I had it all planned as we were going to do a co-op, but those plans have fallen through. So now I have to decide if my child is ready to go to a structured preschool.
PROS
He already knows the alphabet and all the sounds.
He can count to 10.
He knows some shapes and most colors.
He talks really well.
I would be able to go grocery shopping ALONE.
He loves to be around other kids his age.
CONS
I'm not ready. I have been excited about every milestone he has hit, but this sending him off to school is hard. I didn't think it would be, but what can I say, he's my little buddy and is pretty much with me all the time.
We're having a hard time with potty training. My goal is to get it done by his 3rd birthday, but we'll see.
He's young for his class. Birthday is the end of August.
He has a hard time sitting still to work on projects. He doesn't really like to do things like play with playdough, color, fingerpaint, or do puzzles on his own for more than like 5-10 minutes.
$$$$$$ it adds up.
He still needs a nap after lunch.
If you know my son, do you think he will be ready for preschool this fall?
3 comments:
I don't know Jacob's personality but I do have an opinion about preschool. At age three the most important thing for kids is play and social interaction. A three year old doesn't need to be in preschool. Co-ops are a great solution for three year old because it cheap and can be very play centered. I personally think that you should wait until he's four to spend money on preschool.
We were never able to pay to send Tyler to a preschool and I did preschool co-ops with him and he is at the top of his Kindergarten class...moral of the story being your child doesn't need preschool to do well in school. That being said Samantha will miss Kindergarten next year and I'm hoping to send her to a paid preschool because after 3 years I'm tired of doing co-op preschools.
I hope my answer helps a little. Make what ever chose you feel best about. Good Luck!
If you want my two cents, I think we send kids away from home way too soon. None of you went to much preschool, Daniel not at all and you seemed to do fine. Jacob is a social child, I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Jacob is super smart, whatever you decide he will be fine! Also, I have no idea what a preschool co-op is, but I joined a food co-op!
Post a Comment