Friday, November 5, 2010

Q

I have a new obsession. I can't believe I have gone so many years without using these really great tools. Seriously!!!!! How come no one has clued me in? I have tried off and on for a few years to save money on groceries by couponing. I am just not good at it. I would spend an hour or more on cutting coupons and making my list only just to blow almost my entire grocery budget on random items that didn't really equal to meals. So I've gone back to planning a menu based on the sale ads alone and have been consistently under budget since. I buy tons of fresh produce, things for food storage, and a few extras all while staying under my budget just on sales alone. I still use coupons on a good sale on things like cereal, snack items, etc. So on to my new obsession. I've signed up for several deal a day sites like groupon, screamin' daily deals, and more. I also started following a couple of blogs that are great at telling you where the really great deals are to be found online. I don't have to spend hours on these. The updates for the daily deals come to my e-mail, and if I like it then I can buy it. The blogs I view through google reader (which I love) and just few the posts that catch my interest. Here are a couple of examples of things I have purchased recently for Christmas:
**Two pair of rainboots for my kids from Kidorable for $12 shipped (the boots alone retail for $50)
**Lucky brand lounge pants shipped for $9 and some change (retail for around $45 I think?)
**Jarom is getting a really awesome birthday present. Something he has wanted to do for a very long time, but it's pricey. Well I got the package for 50% off so there you go.
**8 pair of baby legs for $19 shipped (these retail for $8-$10 per pair) I love, love baby legs!
**Two wristbands to Jungle Jims for $3 ($8.95 each normally)

So I got rainboots to give to the kids for Christmas, pajama pants for me, birthday present for Jarom, stash of baby gifts, entertainment for the kids. I could keep going. The point is that I am saving money on entertainment, gifts, and other everyday things. I am so tempted to take advantage of every deal, but I am only doing the ones that would be a part of our everyday expenditures anyways.

yAHOO!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Go Amy! Who knew saving $$ could be so much fun! Check out dealsbydawn.blogspot.com

It's Dawn (Dahlsrud) Reaneau's deal website. Love it! Plus on the sidebar she has a link to tons of other saving sites. Last year, I saved a ton at Christmas just by following her site and her links to other sites.

Liz said...

I want to guess Jarom's birthday present. Skydiving? Bungee Jumping? Spa day?

What are the blogs you follow?

Unknown said...

Save some dough? Bro? I think it will snow? Do you though? I might know? Afraid So....