Friday, December 5, 2008

What's a mother to do?

So there are a few places that I try my very hardest to avoid when I have Jacob by myself. One of those places is the bookstore. I love to browse books and so does he. This makes for a lethal combination. Well yesterday I had to make a trip to the bookstore as I needed a book for our book club book exchange last night. I did my research on the web before we headed out so that I could just grab the book I had decided to buy and leave. Well I made a quick decision to take Jacob to the children's section just to see if they had any good Christmas books on sale. Everything was fine. We were looking at books with animals, of course, and he played with the train table for awhile. Then he found something that an animal lover like him cannot resist. It was a book/game/toy that had a book about animals, a game you could play, and a tube of plastic animals. He tried desperately to get me to open the tube so he could play with the animals. After a few failed attempts at explaining why we couldn't open them I dragged him away hoping to make a mad dash to the checkout. Well he began to throw one of his tantrums where he's crying hysterically, throwing himself on the floor, kicking. You know what I'm talking about. A full on two year old, I want that toy, tantrum. I was using every ounce of energy I had to hold on to him so I could get the heck out of the store. So we're standing in line and I'm trying to hold onto him, he's red in face with big gooey boogers running down his nose. And the checkers seem to be taking forever. Well the lady in front of me turned around not once but TWICE, made eye contact, and gave me the biggest glare ever both times. I wanted to laugh right out loud. Are you kidding me? Do you think that glaring at me with evil eyes is going to help make my kid stop screaming? Don't you think I'm doing everything in my womanly power to make that happen? Thank goodness for the sweet lady in line behind me who held Jacob while I paid for my book and offered him a sucker in effort to get him to stop crying.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Way to not give in Amy!

Liz said...

Sorry, I've been that lady with the glaring. And I can tell you exactly what she was thinking, "Control your kid, lady!" I'm sure I'll have a different mindset when I have monsters of my own. :)